- verbequip with an apparatus for controlling the humidity and temperature-
Our house is not air-conditioned• Syn: ↑air-condition• Derivationally related forms: ↑air conditioner (for: ↑air-condition), ↑air conditioning (for: ↑air-condition)• Topics: ↑architecture• Verb Frames:-
Somebody ——s something-
Something ——s something
* * *\\ˈ ̷ ̷| ̷ ̷\ transitive verbEtymology: back-formation from air-cooled & air cooling: to cool by means of air; specifically : to cool the cylinder or cylinders of (an internal-combustion engine) by air without the use of any intermediate medium (as water or oil)• air-cooled adjective• air cooling noun
* * *—air-cooled, adj./air"koohl'/, v.t.1. Mach. to remove the heat of combustion, friction, etc., from (a machine, engine, or device), as by air streams flowing over an engine jacket.2. to cool by means of air conditioning.[1895-1900]
* * *airˈ-cool transitive verb• • •Main Entry: ↑air
* * *air-cool «AIR KOOL», transitive verb.1. to remove heat from (an internal-combustion engine) by forcing air on or around the cylinders.2. to remove heat from (a room or other enclosed area) by blowing cool air in.–air´-cool´er, noun.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.